Vicheka Lay (VICHEKA)
ASIA LEGAL | Foreign Lawyer
Kampot and Kep Provincial Chamber of Commerce | Vice President
Working Group Assisting Kampong Speu Province, Cambodia | Member
7th Floor, Rural Today Newspaper Building, Lot E2, Duong Dinh Nghe Str., Cau Giay Dist., Hanoi, Vietnam
T: +84 24 2269 3399
E: firstname.lastname@example.org | W: www.asialegal.vn
Mr. Vicheka Lay is an attorney at law, admitted to practice law in Cambodia.
Vicheka is a Cambodian national, admitted to practice law in Cambodia. As a corporate and commercial lawyer, he regularly advises domestic and foreign clients, especially the multi-national corporations on all aspects of laws and regulations, relating to investing in Cambodia, including registration, investment licensing, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), commercial contracts, intellectual property, corporate and tax compliance.
Vicheka has advised on M&A matters for the gaming, financial and the telecom sectors. He used to serve as an advisor to Cambodia’s general consulate in Chongqing, Mainland China, as an e-commerce consultant for Cambodia’s Ministry of Commerce, and as the legal manager for two garment factories in Cambodia. He has also served as a General Council for a mining and real estate development firms.
Vicheka is a graduate of McGill University’s Faculty of Law in Montreal, Canada, where he studied for an LL.M in comparative law. While in Canada, Vicheka volunteered for a Vancouver-based NGO named Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada. He is also the holder of a public international law graduate degree from Cambodia. Vicheka has written widely on commercial arbitration, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and other legal articles of relevance to corporate social and responsibility.
- 2012: Master of Comparative Law, McGill University Canada;
- 2010: Master of Public International Law, University of Cambodia, Cambodia;
- 2016: Bachelor of Law, University of Cambodia, Cambodia.
- November 2019: Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
ExperienceCorporate & Commercial & M&A:
- Advising foreign investors on general corporate setup and ongoing compliance, investment licensing, shareholders’ agreement, board agreement, joint venture and dispute resolutions outside the court system;
- Advised a Malaysian real estate company on nominee shareholding agreement;
- Advising trading/logistics companies in liquidation with the General Department of Taxation and the Ministry of Commerce;
- Acting as a general counsel for a quarry operating company;
- Assisted a foreign bank in acquiring a Cambodian microfinance institution;
- Assisted a foreign company in acquiring a casino in Cambodia.
- Advising on joint venture agreement, worth US$ million between a Malaysian real estate firm, Chinese investor and a Cambodian investor;
- Advised Cambodian Deerun Construction and Engineering Group on all aspects of laws and its relations to/with Cambodian regulations;
- Advised a Chinese company on acquiring one hundred (one hundred) hectares of land in Kampong Chhnang province;
- Advising Chinese companies with regard to land due diligence prior to acquisition or joint venture;
- Advising foreign investors on property-holding structure, real estate trust and project acquisition.
- Assisting a Chinese conglomerate in setting up a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in Sihanoukville province;
- Assisting a number of foreign investors in setting up tax-free (Qualified Investment Project) companies in Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone;
- Facilitating a foreign investment firm in export, including obtaining GSP (General System of Preference) certificate, bar code certificate, Phyto and Health Certificate for export;
- Land concession.
- Advised a Cambodian company in acquiring a Thai restaurant franchise into Cambodia;
- Assisting a number of Thai companies in registering trademarks and filing responses and oppositions in Cambodia.
- Has experience acting as a General Counsel to two garment factories, Morodok Cheet Khmer Apparel Limited and Sepia Garment factory;
- Has acted a General Counsel for bag factory and assisting in all aspects of legal and tax compliance, including obtaining investment license, building permit, fire certificate and other operation licenses with the Cambodian authorities.